Junior Icemen 14 & Under Program
Age Group: 2009, 2010
Teams: 14UA1, 14UA2
Start Date: The week of August 14th
End Date: End of February
Roster: 13 - 15 skaters, 1-2 goalies
Purpose: At the 14-and-Under level, coaches should focus on the following age-appropriate concepts and skills so that players enjoy the experience and develop both as hockey players and as young kids.
Focus Points: Fun and Engagement, Practice Activity and Structure, Age-Appropriate Training, Body Contact//Body Checking, Skill Development, Team Play
* 14 U stage development is called Train to Train. The focus of this state is to further develop sports specific skills, begin to introduce competition, and start to emphasize support training to continue development of speed, strength and stamina while maintaining flexibility. Players should consolidate sport specific technical skills with an increased emphasis on hockey and a reduction in the number of other sports played. A continued emphasis is also placed on the development of individual and group tactics. Social and emotional considerations are addressed by placing an emphasis on team-building, group interaction and social activities.
Icemen Experience: Each player will receive 2 tickets per season to preselected Icemen games. Players will also be provided with unique event experiences with the Icemen.
Game Rinks: Games are played throughout the state of Florida on most weekends.
Program: 3 On Ice practices and 2 off Ice practices weekly
Curriculum: All age groups follow a comprehensive 25-week on and off-ice curriculum focusing on age-appropriate training and proper player development guidelines. This will ensure all players have the opportunity to reach their full potential in a fun, challenging and positive learning environment.
The goal of practice is to create the most fun, challenging, learning environment for players to enjoy the game and improve faster for performance in games. Game based learning is scientifically proven to be the best retained when acquiring skill, more transferable for optimizing development and performance. Practicing the perception (cognitive) and action (physical) movements “coupled” together allows players to learn in game-like situations. Every practice should be composed of the following:
- Fun & Engaging
- High Activity (puck touches, movement)
- Game Like Situations (looks like the game)
- Decision Making
- Competition / Challenging
No Practice dates: * subject to change
Sept 4, Oct 31, Nov 23, Dec 18 - Jan 1, Jan 15, Feb 19
League Format: All 14U levels play full ice games.
League Games - Play in SAHOF League
Tournaments: 4 Tournaments per season, locations/dates - TBA
* Note the majority of locations for tournaments will be in the state of Florida or neighboring state with a drivable distance with the potential option of something further if it makes sense for competition purposes and developmentally. Tournament locations are TBA and will depend on the level of team and tournament divisions offered at different rink locations.
Travel: All local in Florida with potential option for 1 out of state event
Team Communication/Schedule - Teamsnap app will be used.
Uniforms: All jerseys and merchandise are ordered on Uniform day, which includes reservation of jersey number. More info will be emailed out after tryouts.
Playoffs: All playoff fees are NOT included in club dues.
Jr.Icemen - 14U Equipment and Apparel Requirements
- Navy Helmet / helmet stickers
- Navy Hockey pants and/or Pant Shell
- Predominantly Navy Gloves (no conflicting colors)
- Game Jerseys (white & blue)
- Game Socks (white & blue)
- Practice Jerseys (white & navy) - included
- Practice Socks (white & navy) - included
- Dryland Shorts & two T-Shirts
- Equipment Bag
- Polo Shirt
- Jr.Icemen Hat (optional)